Quick and Easy Kumquat Jam

May 12, 2011
tags: ,

This week I set out to make homemade fig jam to use on flatbreads I’m planning on making for a girls’ night this weekend. However, as my clever boyfriend pointed out, figs aren’t in season so A) I’m not likely going to find fresh ones at Whole Foods, and B) as a food blogger, shouldn’t I showcase foods that are season-appropriate? What can I say, my man is often correct! So, being put slightly on the spot in the produce aisle, I grabbed some kumquats. I’ve never cooked with these small orange gems before, and I assumed a jam recipe for them would be similar to any other, right? Fruit + sugar + heat. Not so, as I shortly discovered upon searching for a recipe. Most jam recipes I came across were very time consuming, instructing you to remove each kumquat’s white pith, and let them sit overnight to macerate in the sugar. Ooof, I thought, what did I sign myself up for on a Tuesday evening? There must be a shortcut!

Alas, there was. On my trusty epicurious.com I found a recipe that only had you macerate the fruit for 15 minutes and did not involve a cheesecloth. As I began slicing my kumquats, Scott (there he goes again!) also pointed out that I shouldn’t bother removing each pith because if you can eat a whole kumquat skin and all, why should you have to dissect it in order to cook it down? So I took his advice, modified the recipe a bit to accommodate for possible bitterness (more sugar + 1 orange), and added some spices to give it my own unique spin. I also decided, since I’m spreading this on a flatbread, to give it a quick whirl with the immersion blender at the very end so my guests aren’t chewing on kumquat rinds. All in all, I’m very happy with how this turned out!

• 2 Cups kumquats, quartered lengthwise
  • 3/4 Cup sugar
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/8 tsp ground hot red chili powder
  • 1/2 Cup water

Place kumquats, sugar and spices in a nonreactive saucepan and stir to combine. Let sit and macerate for at least 15 minutes. Add water and cook over medium heat until the liquid thickens, about 15-20 minutes (it will thicken more once it cools). Use a food processor or immersion blender to quickly chop the fruit to the desired texture. I like the texture of a traditional marmalade, smooth for the most part but with some remaining rind for texture. Place into airtight container and keep in the refrigerator.

Enjoy on toast, english muffin, or stay tuned for my flatbread recipe!

About these ads
  1. May 12, 2011 2:37 pm

Sounds delicious! Hope the jam turned out well. What a smart boyfriend. :)

• May 12, 2011 2:49 pm

It came out very delish, I had a bite with some manchego cheese which was great! Can’t wait to try that combo on my flatbreads this weekend :)

• May 12, 2011 4:31 pm

Oh my gosh, that sounds like an amazing combo! Love manchego cheese.

2. May 14, 2011 4:06 pm

wow this looks so good!! you amaze me!!!

3. pamela permalink
    May 19, 2011 9:52 am

Looks yummy. Allison what are you using to take your food pix?

• May 19, 2011 10:04 am

Thank P!
      I’ve been shooting with Scott’s Canon G9 DSLR … maybe next year I’ll treat myself to a fancy new camera though!

For lighting I use the Ego Light which mimics natural light…

• pamela permalink
        May 19, 2011 11:22 am

Oooh is the light what I need? My food pix all look kinda muddy and uncrisp. I swear my food looks prettier in person! Not as pretty as yours though!

I’m gonna try the plum/port deal. Pie crust has always been my downfall. Terrible at it!

• May 19, 2011 11:38 am

yeah it helps a lot! i also use a tripod and no flash… set up the camera on 2 second delay so its really still and make sure you use macro setting to get the details. even with all that its always a gamble! some foods are just difficult models… :)

4. July 18, 2012 1:02 am

You mention using an orange in your commentary but I don’t see it in your recipe….did you use it in the final recipe?

• July 23, 2012 10:53 am

oh wow, I didn’t realize that! This was so long ago I honestly don’t remember but I’m guessing I just peeled and sliced up a regular orange and added it in with the kumquats.

5. Alexa permalink
    January 8, 2013 2:03 pm

Great recipe, thanks. Mine seemed to need boiling for quite a bit longer before it thickened but the flavours are lovely!

1. Grilled Cocas with Kumquat Jam and Manchego « Allison Eats