Primal Coconut Macaroons

May 22, 2012

Before going paleo/primal, I only ever really ate macaroons during passover. A classic treat that’s always been gluten-free, I’ve been wanting to bake some up myself for years since they’re really simple and consist of only a few ingredients. However, these delightful treats always seemed to lose out to more decadent confections like cupcakes and pies (and now that summer is fast approaching the itch for pie-making is starting to take hold)!

Recently I came across a recipe on Elana’s Pantry for her Paleo Coconut Macaroons and immediately pinned it. I’ve been pinning a lot of paleo/primal recipes since I started to stay inspired, and this one definitely stood out. I know macaroons are pretty much 80% paleo already so the only real change is swapping out sugar for honey. I altered her recipe ever so slightly by adding some vanilla extract and drizzling the tops with some dark chocolate. When it comes to chocolate, the darker the better in terms of diet-friendliness, but all I had were Hershey’s semisweet chips; So shhhh don’t tell Mark on me! Haha. A little chocolate never hurt anyone I say, but next time I make these I’ll try to pick up some good quality 80% or more dark chocolate.

I rarely shoot a “mise en place,” but with such few pretty and dainty ingredients, I couldn’t help myself.

Primal Coconut Macaroons (yields 16)
  • 2 large egg whites
  • ¼ cup honey
  • ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 ½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes or unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate (chips, or chopped up)
Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites and honey with a fork. Then Briefly whisk in salt and vanilla. Add the coconut and stir until everything is well incorporated.
Place bowl in fridge to chill for ½ hour. Remove from fridge and scoop mixture onto a two parchment-lined cookie sheets using a 2 TBSP cookie scoop (or spoon) and pat the mixture in firmly and level.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating pans halfway, until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
In the meantime, place chocolate into a double boiler over simmering water and melt, using a rubber spatula to stir the chocolate in order to avoid burning. Once the chocolate is completely smooth, scoop it into a ziplock bag and seal it well. Using scissors, snip a small corner off the bag and pipe chocolate onto cooled macaroons. You can also just dip the cookies into the chocolate if you prefer a heavier coating.
Let chocolate set by placing cookies in the fridge or a cool spot. Right now we don’t have our AC running yet so the pre-summer humidity in my house wouldn’t have been optimal for this. The fridge works fine and didn’t dry out the cookies. You can continue to store them in there if you’d like, and bring them back to room temperature before serving.
These cookies were so easy I’m tempted to make them again very soon! They were a hit at our little Saturday night BBQ. Enjoy!
About these ads
  1. May 22, 2012 10:42 am

These look gorgeous, especially with the chocolate piping.

2. trialsinfood permalink
    May 22, 2012 11:49 am

Yummy!

3. May 22, 2012 4:33 pm

What ridiculously clean and gorgeous photos – these are really very impressive.

• May 22, 2012 7:52 pm

Why thank you! You know, sometimes you just get lucky/the stars align, and you get great shots. I’m really still learning as I go!

4. Megan Bauer permalink
    May 23, 2012 1:46 am

I’m assuming you mix the coconut flakes with the egg whites and everything?

• May 23, 2012 8:51 am

Yea its the last to go in. I must have deleted that by accident in formatting! Will fix asap :)

5. Claudia permalink
    May 23, 2012 2:24 am

just a quick comment on a beautiful recipe – you don’t say when to add the coconut. just a heads up! lovely pictures!

• May 23, 2012 8:50 am

Ahh yes! Thanks for pointing that out. I’ll have to fix that asap. :)

6. May 23, 2012 9:42 am

Your photos just pop off the screen. I feel like I can taste them from here!

7. May 23, 2012 10:21 am

they look adorable and delicious! your photos are amazing

8. Aisa permalink
    May 23, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi, I’m from Poland and I think that this recipe for coconut macaroons is great and I’m going to try it!

9. May 23, 2012 10:00 pm

I’ve never had a macaroon, but these look delicious!

10. May 25, 2012 7:33 am

Nice photos! I have a family member with celiacs, so I’m going to try making this recipe… looks delicious!

11. Randi Lynne permalink
    May 30, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks for the great primal dessert recipe! I think these taste great!

12. June 17, 2012 10:18 am

This is my favorite dessert! Sooo incredibly addictive! Will have to try this recipe. Following you now, too!

13. August 25, 2012 11:34 pm

I have loved coconut macaroons from being a kid so I was really excited to come across this Paleo recipe. I tried it with shredded coconut, because that it all I had from Tropical Traditions. They turned out great ! Only problem was I used a tbs scoop instead of a 2tbs scoop and they break very easily. Do you find yours break easily or not ? Trying to figure out if that is the reason why, or should I add some more ingredient so they bind better ? Thoughts ?

• August 26, 2012 12:10 am

They were pretty delicate for me too, just the nature of the recipe perhaps! You may try making sure you really press the batter firmly before placing on the pan.

14. Shanna permalink
    September 25, 2012 10:05 am

They look amazing and they taste great, but one little problem. They were too dry. I doubled the recipe to make more, but I think next time I’d need to add two more egg whites. You’ve never had an issue with them being too dry?

• September 25, 2012 10:09 am

I only made these the one time, and yes they were a bit crumbly – I was following the recipe since I’d never made them before. But if I make them again I think I would add more egg white definitely.

15. Sara permalink
    March 21, 2013 7:55 pm

I just made these and OMG they are good. Rather than do the chocolate topper, I added about 1/3 a cup of dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa powder. You probably don’t need that much, but with the powder inside they taste like a brownie!

16. Meghan Baldwin permalink
    April 17, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi, these looked lovely so I attempted to make them today but they fell to pieces after I took them out of the oven! Not sure what happened…I pushed them firmly into a press to make them uniform, so they were very compacted when they went into the oven. How can I make them more dense and keep them together? Thoughts? Many thanks!

• April 17, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi there! I actually recently made these again and worked out a couple kinks. First I added an extra egg and a little more honey (probay 1-2 TBSPs). Secondly I found these mold together much easier when you use your hands and dip your fingers into a bowl of water before molding them into little pyramid-shaped mounds.

I hope this helps keep your macaroons together! Happy baking :)

• Sara permalink
      April 17, 2013 7:41 pm

The 3rd egg white makes them much more moist.

17. Vicky bridge permalink
    April 25, 2013 1:50 pm

How long do these last in a Tupperware box?

• Sara permalink
      April 25, 2013 3:11 pm

I’ve had luck with them lasting almost 2 weeks on the counter. They didn’t really make it long past that. Actually time to make some more I think!

• April 25, 2013 3:53 pm

I’m not exactly sure, as they’ve gone pretty fast! But recently I made them and stored them in a tupperware for 3 days before eating them, and I’m sure they would be fine up to a week.

• Vicky bridge permalink
        April 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Ok thanks

18. November 29, 2013 1:50 pm

These look dangerously easy and delicious! Thanks for sharing, I’ll have to give them a try soon!

19. Greg permalink
    February 1, 2014 5:32 am

How do these stay together?
    First try I couldn’t get them into balls. Went back and added more egg white and honey. Was able to mold them but they collapsed the second they were out of the oven (and one whilst in the oven) !

I know have a tub of coconut mixture that I don’t really want to waste. Can anyone come to the rescue?

• February 1, 2014 8:50 am

Yikes sorry to hear! Did you try wetting your hands when molding them? I found this is a “less is more” situation where you just have to gently press them into shape and let them set in the oven. I think they collapsed in the oven due to the added liquid ingredients. The coconut, once toasted should hold together with just the little amounts originally listed in the recipe.

20. Alex permalink
    February 6, 2014 2:22 pm

Hi Allie,

My name is Alex and I’m a writer at DailyBurn Life. We’d love to feature these delicious cookies in an article on paleo cookies! If you can get in touch with me at alex@dailyburn.com, that would be great!

Look forward to hearing from you!

Best,
    Alex

1. WOD Monday 10/15/12 | Welcome To CrossFit RAZE!
  2. This Week I … « The Juicy Pineapple
  3. Primal Journal - Siobhan - Page 202 | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page 202
  4. 10 Can't-Believe-They're-Paleo Cookie Recipes - Life by DailyBurn