Beet, Pineapple and Celery Juice

September 25, 2013

BeetJuice_1

Today I bring you a short and sweet post with a recipe for some delicious and nutritious juice. The star of which, is the ever-polarizing beet. When it comes to beets, I’ve only ever heard people proclaim they love them, hate them, or have no idea what to do with them. So with this recipe, I hope to appeal to the masses and perhaps convert some haters and enlighten the beet-naive.

Beets rule. They’re rich in nutrients (like folic acid, magnesium, calcium, and iron), have detoxifying properties, and that sweet demeanor of theirs provides you with a good source of carbohydrate energy. They’re also a stunning example of the bold natural dyes that nature produces.

The reason I like this juice combo so much is that the addition of pineapple (besides adding a Vitamin C boost to kickoff this cold and flu season) adds just enough tartness to tame some of the “earthy/dirt” flavor that may make beets less-than-delicious to some folks. With just three ingredients (four, if you count the beet greens as a separate ingredient), why not give this juice a try?

Beet, Pineapple, and Celery Juice

• 1 bunch of beets, with about 3 medium-large beetroots, or rough equivalent in smaller beetroots
  • 1 pineapple
  • 1 head of celery

Remove beetroots from the stalks and leaves (don’t toss these!), and scrub them well with a produce brush to remove any dirt. Cut the beetroots into 1-inch cubes. You may want to wear gloves while handling the beets to avoid staining your hands red. Clean and roughly chop the beet greens, and set aside.

Peel and slice your pineapple into 1-inch chunks. Wash celery and slice into 1-inch pieces as well.

Slowly feed all ingredients through your juicer, alternating between the greens and the juicier pieces, to avoid clogging the feed tube.

If you’d like, strain the juice with a fine-mesh strainer at the end to remove any residual pulp.

Enjoy!

About these ads
  1. September 25, 2013 11:56 am

Reblogged this on AntiRadiation.

2. September 25, 2013 7:48 pm

Wow how healthy does this look and very refreshing. Love it :)

3. September 26, 2013 4:58 am

What a brilliant idea, Allison!! I love beets but usually when they are cooked.
    I’ll try this in my juicer one day..maybe it will replace my favourite green apple and celery juice.

4. September 26, 2013 3:13 pm

Hello !~ I’ve nominated you for a Leibster Award and hope you’ll accept it. Always looking forward to reading your blog :)

-ivancouver604

5. A Taste of Brazil permalink
    September 28, 2013 5:38 pm

This looks yummy. I will definitely give this combination a try. Beets are one of my favorite vegetables to use in juice and I usually make a beet, orange, and carrot juice. Thanks for the recipe!

6. October 11, 2013 6:42 pm

I love juicing. This sounds interesting. Love pineapple too. Any additonal fruit ideas that might be great to combine with your combinations?

• October 12, 2013 9:11 am

I really like carrots with beet juice, and apples are a great swap for the pineapple too!

7. October 14, 2013 1:17 am

looks pretty, sounds odd but I’m sure it taste YUMMY! :)

grace

8. November 14, 2013 8:28 pm

This sounds delicious! I love juicing and it’s a nice alternative way to enjoy fruits and vegetables. I will definitely be making this…Maybe adding some mint and lemon for me though!