As some may know, I’m a little bit of a health nut. Sure I appreciate (crave) chocolate, cupcakes, or a delicious Italian Hoagie from time to time, but when it comes to my normal routine, I’m always trying to stay on the healthy side. So here I’m sharing my top 5 healthy snacks, because lets face it, I may be health-conscious, but I’m always hungry!
1. Sliced apple and peanut butter. When I was a kid I used to hate peanut butter with the exception of it being on apples or mixed into vanilla yogurt (see below). Now I love it right out of the jar, but this pairing is still a classic. Also makes for a perfect boost about an hour before hitting the gym- I’ve heard an apple can give you just as much energy as a cup of coffee, and the peanut butter gives you the protein your muscles crave.
2. Vanilla yogurt with peanut butter and banana. This is also happens to be what I brought for lunch today, partially out of laziness, but it sure is delicious and covers most of your food groups. I’m pairing it with whole grain toast.
3. Multi-grain toast with avocado and salt. Sure, salt isn’t nutrient in any way shape or form, but a little goes a long way and it really brings out the flavor of the avocado.
4. Cottage cheese with honey. I’m a honey fanatic lately- I’ll eat it off a spoon, but it makes for a better snack when stirred into healthy cottage cheese.
5. Crackers with light cheese and tuna. Okay, I tend to eat this more as a lunch, but it makes a great snack too, lets say if you’re planning a late dinner or had a light lunch. My cracker or choice would be rye Melba Toast or Wasa crackers, light laughing cow cheese (they have some great new flavors now, like chipotle!) and tuna salad made with low-fat mayo.