Blackberry Jam with Pinot Noir

December 1, 2011

As some of you may remember, last holiday season Scott and I made and canned our own pickled veggies to give to friends and family as gifts. This year, I wanted to do something like that again, but decided to make jam instead! I have made jam before but never preserved it in adorable jars like this. What’s great about jam-making is it doesn’t involve many ingredients so its easy to make up a big batch. It is time-consuming and you have to pay close attention to assure it doesn’t burn, but Ashley and I managed to take turns stirring and checking on the pot, while snacking on some delicious cheese, baguette and wine of course!

The recipe we used was inspired by this one for cherry, sage and pinot noir over at Savory Notes. However, we prefer blackberries to cherries, and Ashley suggested we should leave out the sage for more mass appeal to our giftees. Another great thing about jam, is once you have the general process down you can easily substitute the fruit, pound for pound. This came out so great! The flavor is bold and unique and would pair well with a great stinky cheese! Go ahead and give it a try!

Blackberry Jam with Pinot Noir
Makes about 80 ounces of jam, enough to fill 10 regular 8-ounce jam jars!

• 4 lbs of blackberries, roughly chopped
  • juice of 4 lemons
  • 2 cups Pinot Noir
  • 6 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar

Bring a large pot of water to a boil- we’re talking lobster pot sized, so give it some time in advance to get boiling. Place a canning rack or vegetable steamer (which I use and works fine) at the bottom, and put your jars and lids in carefully using a long pair of tongs. Be carefully the lids aren’t stuck together or touching too much or they’ll develop rust. Keep the pot of jars simmering while you prepare your jam.

Put chopped berries, lemon juice, and wine into a pot on medium/medium-low heat, and cook for about 45 minutes, until berries are soft and wine is reduced a bit.

Add the sugar and bring to a simmer. Let cook for about 1 hour and 45 minutes, standing by and stirring frequently to avoid burning your jam. To test doneness, see if the jam coats the back of a spoon. You can also keep a small dish in the refrigerator, drop a bit of jam onto the cold dish, and see if it gels.

Once ready to can your jam, carefully remove your jars and lids from the pot with tongs, and lay them on a clean tea towel. Dry them off and begin spooning the jam into each jar, leaving enough headroom, about half an inch. Now cover your jars and place them in batches back into the pot of boiling water. Do this about 3-4 jars at a time so they don’t touch each other. Process for 5 minutes, then remove the jars and set them back on the tea towel to cool. Do not adjust or tighten the lids. As they cool they’ll seal up completely and the caps will compress. Once you’ve processed all your jars, let them cool completely then store them in the refrigerator.

Decorate to your heart’s desire and give them to all those deserving of a sweet and lovely gift!

Advertisements
  1. December 1, 2011 2:24 pm

This must be super delicious. The combo is perfect.

2. December 1, 2011 3:46 pm

This sounds so great! (“paired with a great stinky cheese”…lol) I come from a huge foodie family (8 of us) and I think you’ve just helped me wrap up my Christmas shopping. Thanks for posting.

3. December 1, 2011 8:21 pm

This sounds great! I love the flavor combo.

4. December 2, 2011 5:48 pm

what made you choose pinot noir rather than other grapes?

• December 2, 2011 9:03 pm

I used pinot noir because thats what was used in the recipe i based this on. Honestly didn’t consider other varieties but would be curious to try!

5. December 5, 2011 9:47 am

Pinot is one of my favorite reds and I love the idea of using it in jam! This would be a beautiful holiday gift, too. I need to stock up on some jars!

6. December 5, 2011 2:01 pm

A healthy gift from the heart! How very thoughtful of you!

7. December 5, 2011 2:30 pm

That sounds ingenious! I love it. I know it would be good as a gift, but I look forward to trying that at the weekend for myself!

8. Russell Farr-Jones permalink
    December 5, 2011 4:36 pm

Sounds lovely! I just made some chutney for the first time to give as christmas gifts, and was quite pleased with that, but it is a lot quicker to make than jam! I really want to do some jam next so may try this. Where did you get those amazing jars from? They are gorgeous.

• December 5, 2011 4:41 pm

The jars are just the typical Ball Jars, but I topped them with fabric and ribbon from the craft store.

9. Girl In Town permalink
    December 5, 2011 8:52 pm

This is a brilliant idea!!
    I LOVE pinot noir and jam, what could be better? Not too much.

10. December 5, 2011 10:13 pm

This jams sounds quite tasty! Love how you added the fabric and ribbon!

11. crispybit permalink
    December 11, 2011 10:34 pm

Oh my……Fresh Jam?? Why even bother with bread…I’m a purist…Just give me a spoon 🙂

12. December 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Seriously? This sounds amazing! Your photography is exquisite.

13. Brandy permalink
    December 21, 2011 6:46 am

I’m definately going to try this one…I can’t help myself 🙂 One question though, I noticed at the end you mention to store them in the refrigerator. Do you mean after opening? Other jams I’ve made are good for 6 months in a pantry. I would be giving some of these as a gift and would want to make sure to give proper instructions so that it doesn’t spoil.

• December 21, 2011 9:06 am

I just put mine on the fridge to cool, and as it cooled the lid sealed up. After i topped the jars in fabric i left them out at room temperature until opening. I’m sure leaving the processed jars out to cool works fine too, perhaps i was just impatient 🙂

• Brandy permalink
        December 28, 2011 7:01 pm

Loved how this turned out! It was very time consuming compared to the usual strawberry jam I’ve made but was totally worth it. I’ve already gone back to the store to get the ingredients to make another batch 🙂 Thanks!

14. December 25, 2011 2:36 pm

This sounds so delicious! Can’t wait to try it. You inspired me to make beetroot jam this time round. I mentioned this post in my blog recently, I hope you don’t mind. I really like this site, your photos are beautiful.

Many thanks,

Happy Food Baby

15. December 28, 2011 12:01 am

yum! love that colour… and so easy too

1. Beetroot, cranberry and apple jam « happyfoodbaby