Lemon Rosemary Chicken with Roasted Brussels Sprouts

May 13, 2013

LemonChicken_1

brussels_1

brussels_2

As the weather warms up, and my calendar starts to fill up, usually my motivation to cook big meals starts to wane. It works out pretty well though, because warm weather goes well with light eating (and shorts, bare legs, and bathing suits).

Last night I cooked up some basic roasted chicken with brussels sprouts; a veggie which Scott and I have been mildly obsessed with lately. I’ve been seeing them on menus more and more lately, and more times than not they’re prepared in a pretty basic yet delicious way. The key to them, I think, is the texture. You want them to have a little bite, but the outer leaves to have a deep, roasted flavor. The way I achieved this is by blanching the brussels sprouts before roasting them. I picked up this technique from my step-brother, who whipped up some amazing asparagus using the same method for Passover this year. Cooking the veggies through and then shocking them in ice water assures you get a fully-cooked but not soggy texture. Then you just finish them for flavor; Either in the broiler, saute pan, or grill.

Lemon Rosemary Chicken

• 2 cut-up chickens
  • 5 TBSP fresh lemon juice
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 tBSP kosher salt
  • 1 tBSP fresh chopped rosemary
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup dry white wine

Preheat oven to 400° F.

Chop the garlic and sprinkle it with the kosher salt on a cutting board. Using the back side of a fork, mash the two together into a paste; The salt with act as an abrasive, helping to break down the garlic. Scoop the garlic paste into a small bowl.

Add the lemon juice, rosemary and pepper to the garlic pasts and stir to combine.

Rinse and pat the chicken pieces dry, and arrange them in a deep roasting pan. Rub the chicken with lemon-garlic mixture, and pour the wine into the pan. Roast, uncovered, for a half hour.

Add 3/4 cup water to the pan to keep the chicken moist, and return to the oven to finish for another 10-15 minutes, until the internal temperature at the thickest part reaches 165°, and the skin is nicely browned.

Serve topped with pan juices.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

• 2 lbs brussels sprouts
  • 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper

Cut ends off brussels sprouts. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and prepare an ice water bath. Blanche brussels sprouts for 10-15 minutes in the boiling water, until tender but not soggy. Quickly spoon them into the ice water to stop cooking. When brussels sprouts are cool, slice each one in half lengthwise and put them into a roasted dish. Toss them with olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and red pepper.

Heat your broiler. Put brussels sprouts in the broiler for 15-20 minutes, checking every 5 minutes or so to see they are charring evening. Shake the pan around a bit to redistribute them if needed. When nicely browned on top, remove from the broiler, and top with a pinch of extra kosher salt, if desired.

Advertisements
  1. May 13, 2013 12:27 pm

As it’s approaching lunch time here in NY, this is looking mighty tasty and making me very hungry.

2. May 13, 2013 10:24 pm

The chicken looks delicious! I love lemon with my chicken! 🙂

grace

Make sure to come and enter my giveaway!

3. May 16, 2013 2:31 am

I love lemon rosemary chicken too! Have to try some brussls sprouts. have not tried cooking with them. Love the way yours look – the broiled marks..they must taste really good..

Any other fav methods for cooking brussels sprouts?

4. May 22, 2013 2:38 am

Oh my gosh! I can eat this! As someone with multiple food allergies and celiac disease, finding a recipe that I can eat without having to severely alter is pretty darn amazing. And it looks delicious too! 😀

~Kelsey

• May 22, 2013 9:00 am

Thanks! While I don’t have any food allergies, I do try to follow a mostly paleo diet, so come back to visit for more gluten-free ideas!

• May 22, 2013 3:08 pm

I’m glad to hear you tend to follow a mostly paleo diet because, despite a few exceptions, I can usually eat most paleo recipes. 🙂

~Kelsey

5. May 24, 2013 10:02 pm

Great picture-taking on all your posts. Thanks for all the recipes. I love experimenting with new recipes I’ve never tried!

6. May 27, 2013 12:40 pm

Looks absolutely scrumptious! Love the photos too!

7. June 9, 2013 10:01 am

Lemon and chicken are the best combo ever! This look super delicious!

8. June 24, 2013 12:33 am

I seriously love brussels sprouts – such an under used ingredient!!

9. June 24, 2013 3:27 pm

brussel sprouts! always delicious!

10. July 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Congratiolations, I have nominated you for the Best Moment Award! 🙂
    More about this nomination here:

11. July 18, 2013 7:45 pm

I just found your blog. Thank god. Your photos are INSPIRING. Love!